Skip to main content

Sholden Hall Residential Retreat

London Road, Sholden, Deal, Kent CT14 0AB
Tel: 01304 375445 | Email

Sholden Hall Residential Retreat

London Road, Sholden, Deal, Kent CT14 0AB
Tel: 01304 375445 | Email

History of Sholden Hall


Sholden Hall was built at the beginning of the 19th Century as a wedding gift for Bargrave Wyborn who married in 1803. In 1806, ‘The Gentleman’s Magazine’ mentions it as ‘the new house’.

Residential Care Home in Kent

Originally named Shoulden Lodge the house was to have many well-known and famous occupants.

During the reign of George IV, most of the land in Deal was owned by the Archbishop of Canterbury who granted a lease for the land on which the house was built. Initially, it stood in about 30 acres.

Occupants during the next 35 years included James Iggulden, a wealthy and well known Deal man, and James Webster.

In 1830 the then Archbishop of Canterbury, William Lord, granted a 21 year lease to a member of the famous naval family of Kent, Sir Thomas Harvey, who  was then a commander in the Royal Navy and together with three other naval officers, Henry Harvey, William Ward Johnson and William Royce, owned Sholden Lodge.
Sir Thomas Harvey was serving as commander-in-chief of the West Indian station at the time of his death in Bermuda on 18th May 1841. There is a memorial to him in Sholden Church.

Late in 1841 another newly-wed couple came to live at Sholden Lodge. Edward Richard Rupert George Banks lived here for 69 years, reaching the age of 90. He was grandson of Sir Edwards Banks who with his firm Banks and Jolliffe constructed London Bridge, which was dismantled in 1971 stone by stone when sold to America. Edward Banks concerned himself in village life and was generous to those less fortunate people around him. He gave the land for Sholden School to be built, was a JP and a Church Warden for the Church of St. Nicholas. He was a keen sportsman, playing cricket for Kent against Surrey at the Oval in 1846 and made the highest score for Kent in that match. He also turned out for Kent against England at Canterbury in August 1845.

Mr. Banks became famous for his Fuchsias, introducing 177 new cultivars in his large glass-house within the spacious grounds of Sholden Lodge, assisted by ten gardeners. In 1868 a new Fuchsia named Beauty of Sholden was adopted as the emblem of the Fuchsia Society; it is his ‘forget-me-not’.

 

On his death on 7th January 1910 the estate was bequeathed by Edward Banks to his grandson, granddaughter and his sister Mary Banks.

The executors sold Sholden Lodge together with “the coach house, stables, five acres, one rood and eight perches of land adjoining the Lodge”, plus land to the east side of Turnpike Road (now London Road) and land at the rear of Sholden Church, which is now consecrated as a burial ground.

The new owner was James Edgar, three times Mayor of Deal. In 1915 he allowed the house to be used as an auxiliary hospital for those serving in the Great War, and his five daughters worked as nurses. Alderman Edgar died in Sholden Lodge in May 1922. In 1927, his heirs sold Sholden Lodge to the East Kent Railway Company. Part of the contract for sale included a provision for a wall to be built to block off the proposed railway line and part of the wall still exists around the property. However, plans were abandoned and the railway was never built.

 

In the summer of 1931 the East Kent Railway Company sold Sholden Lodge and land to Mrs. Pewtner Butt who carried out restoration work and re-named the house Sholden Hall. On her death in December 1947, her sister, represented by the Westminster Bank, sold Sholden Hall as it is now known to Dr Sidney Bernhardt, a Physician from Harley Street, London. With his wife and daughter he carried out essential repairs that were needed due to damage and neglect. Dr Bernhardt sold the property to his daughter Suzanne in 1966.

In 1972 Sholden Hall and its grounds were purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Buckley and they obtained permission and planning consent to convert it into a residential home for the elderly, with a conservatory overlooking the rear garden added in 1986. In March 1988 the Harris family purchased Sholden Hall. In 1989 planning consent was given to demolish and rebuild a purpose built wing on the east side. This was constructed so as to match the early 19th century building.

In March 2008 the home was purchased by the current owners Dr Amanda Jackson and Mr Stephen Jackson and they will continue to maintain the high standard of quality care for which Sholden Hall is renowned. We hope that the building will be preserved for many years to come and remain one of the finest residential care homes in Kent.

Alzeimers Society

Dementia Pledge

Sholden Hall Testimonial

“Thank you for all your care and kindness in looking after Mrs 'A' for so many years”

Residents Daughter