Sholden Hall was built as a wedding gift for Bargrave Wyborn who married in 1803. ‘The Gentleman’s’ magazine mentions it as ‘the new house’ in 1806. Originally named Sholden Lodge the house was to have many well known and famous owners in occupation.
During the reign of George IV most land in Deal was in the fee of the Archbishop of Canterbury who granted his lease to the Sholden land. When the house was built it stood in 30 acres of land.
Occupants during the next 35 years included James Iggulden, a wealthy and well known Deal man, and James Webster.
In 1830 the Archbishop of Canterbury, William Lord granted a 21 year lease to a member of the famous naval family of Kent. Sir Thomas Harvey was then a Commander in the Royal Navy and together with three other Naval Officers Henry Harvey, Wm Ward Johnson and Wm Royce owned Sholden Lodge.
Sir Thomas Harvey was serving Commander-in-Chief of the West Indian Station at the time of his death in Bermuda on 18th May 1841. There is a memorial to him in Sholden Church
Late in 1841 another newly wed couple came to live in Sholden Lodge. Edward Richard Rupert George Banks lived here for 69 years, reaching the age of 90. He was grandson of Sir Edwards Banks who with his firm Banks and Jolliffe constructed London Bridge, which was dismantled in 1971 stone by stone when sold to America. Edward Banks concerned himself in village life and was generous to the less fortunate around him. He gave the land for Sholden School to be built, was a JP and a Church Warden for the Church of St. Nicholas. He was a keen sportsman, playing cricket for Kent against Surrey at the Oval in 1846 and made the highest score for Kent in that match. He also turned out for Kent against England at Canterbury in August 1845.
Mr. Banks became famous for his Fuchsias, introducing 177 new cultivars in his large glass-house within the spacious grounds of Sholden Lodge, assisted by ten gardeners. In 1868 a new Fuchsia named Beauty of Sholden the emblem of the Fuchsia Society is his ‘forget-me-not’.
On his death on 7th January 1910 the estate was bequeathed by Edward Banks to his grandson, granddaughter and his sister Mary Banks.
The executors sold Sholden Lodge together with the coach house, stables, 5 acres, 1 rod and 8 perches of land adjoining the Lodge, plus land to the east side of Turnpike Road (now London Road) and land at the rear of Sholden Church, which is now consecrated as a burial ground.
The new owner was James Edgar, 3 times Mayor of Deal. In 1915 he allowed the house to be used as an Auxiliary Hospital and his 5 daughters worked as Nurses. Alderman Edgar died in Sholden Lodge in May 1922. His heirs sold Sholden Lodge to the East Kent Railway Company in 1927. Part of the contract was for a wall to be built to block off the proposed railway line and this still exists around the property. However plans were abandoned and the railway was never built.
In the summer of 1931 the East Kent Railway Company sold Sholden Lodge and land to Mrs. Pewtner Butt who carried out restoration work and re-named the house Sholden Hall. On her death in December 1947 her sister represented by the Westminster Bank sold Sholden Hall as it is now known to Dr Sidney Bernhardt a Physician from Harley Street London. With his wife and daughter he carried out repairs needed due to damage and neglect. Dr Bernhardt sold the property to his daughter Suzanne in 1966.
In 1972 Sholden Hall and grounds were purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Buckley and they obtained permission and planning consent to convert into a residential home for the elderly, with a conservatory overlooking the rear garden in 1986. In March 1988 the Harris family purchased Sholden Hall. In 1989 planning consent was given to demolish and rebuild a purpose built wing on the east side. This was built in line with the early 19th century building to enhance the Grade II Listed Building.
In March 2008 the home was purchased by the current owners Dr Amanda Jackson and Mr Stephen Jackson and they will continue to maintain the high standard of quality care that Sholden Hall is renowned for. We hope that the building will be preserved for many years to come and remain on of the finest Residential Care Homes in Kent.